Thursday, July 28, 2011

Flour vs corn starch

So I am still very new to cooking gluten free. I still have a whole lot of questions and even more things to learn.

Tonight I was trying to adapt this chicken and broccoli recipe for the stove top. I got to the section about adding flour to thicken the milk. My first thought? "Well, that's not going to work." I've used corn starch to thicken many sauces and gravies over the years so I figured it was a good solution. The problem? I didn't know how much starch to use vs. flour.

The box had this handy little table that showed 1 TBS of corn starch is equal to 2 TBS of all- purpose flour. Well if that wasn't super handy!

So I made the substitution. Verdict? The dish turned out creamy and and perfectly thickened.

Just thought I'd share this little lesson :)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment