Saturday, May 15, 2010

Spring Soup

It is a beautiful day for fishing opener! The sun is shining, it's 72 degrees, and the wind is minimal. Perfect :)

Earlier this week was not so perfect. The rain came and just kept coming. We needed it though, so I tried to embrace the rain.

I decided we needed to warm things up a bit so I made a quick cabbage soup. I combined several recipes to come up with the one I am sharing today.

I had some leftover soup for lunch today. I paired it with a slice of honey oatmeal bread I picked up at the farmer's market this morning. It was filling and yummy!

I also snagged some tomato plants for my garden while I was wandering the market. I can hardly wait to get them into the ground! So, in the near future be looking for garden 2010 updates!

Off to enjoy the sun and see if I can't entice some fishies to become my dinner.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Quick Cabbage Soup
Serves 6
110 calories

8oz lean ground turkey
1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
1 ½ cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
2 medium carrot, diced
1 box Swanson reduced sodium chicken stock(3 cups)
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
8oz Franks Kraut
3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp dry Italian Seasoning
salt and pepper

Spray a soup pot with cooking spray. Lightly caramelize the onions. Add turkey. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Add carrot, stock, tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and cabbage to pot. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes. Add sauerkraut and simmer 5 more minutes.

Serve warm.

Soup gets better the longer it sits as the flavors get a chance to mingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment