Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Holy Cannoli

First of all, the garden is planted!!!! WOOHOO! This year we have: 6 varieties of tomatoes, 4 green bell peppers, carrots, green beans, onions, parsley, basil, kale, kohlrabi, spinach, and cucumbers. I am super excited for another summer of fresh veg.

Ok, in other news, I am 100% in love with the "unseasonably warm weather" we are getting. High humidity, 90 degrees, and sunny. YAY! We got the lawn mowed at my mother-in-laws today, got the garden planted, weeded the flower bed of lily's, and generally just sucked up the beautiful weather we've been blessed with.

Seriously, I live in the wrong part of the country! I would love to see this weather all summer long. It makes me happy to my very core. Even the constant hum of all the whining northerners can't burst my bubble. I just smile and enjoy the dampness on my skin.

When it gets warm out I start looking for sweet treats for some reason. Usually fresh, in season fruit does the trick. But, lately I have been craving bakery treats. Not so healthy. So I turned to my Hungry Girl cookbook. I found a recipe for cannolis. There was no escaping it, I HAD to have them. I worked them into my menu and made them tonight. They are creamy, sweet, and satisfying. Best of all? Only 134 calories per! No baking either, perfect for hot summer days.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend! Cheers!

Holy Moly Cannoli Cones
Serves 6
134 calories per


6 sugar ice cream cones (like the kind by Keebler)
1 cup plus 2 TBS fat-free ricotta cheese
2/3 cup Cool Whip Free, thawed
2 1/2 TBS Splenda granular
2 TBS semisweet mini chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2 TBS fat-free sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 TBS powdered sugar


Place all ingredients except the cones and chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high until mixture is fully combined and fluffy.

Fold in half of the chocolate chips.

Gently scoop 1/6th of the filling into each cone.

Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips evenly on top of the filling in each cone.

Not serving six? Make the filling in a bowl and scored into 6. Spoon 1/6th of the filling into your cone when you are ready to eat. This keeps the cones from getting soggy.

On a personal note, I think chocolate pudding mix would be tasty too. I did up the pudding mix in mine to about 2-2 1/2 TBS because it was a little more creamy consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment