Thursday, May 13, 2010

Home cookin'

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Old saying, but still true.

I love to cook for my family. My husband always says it was one of the reasons he couldn't live without me.

I made lasagna for him tonight. It was delightful.

And, that my friends, is the end of this tale. I cooked, we ate, I spoke using my love language- feeding the body and the soul.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Turkey Lasagna
Serves 8
323 calories per serving

8 lasagna noodles, cooked
8 oz extra lean ground turkey(or extra lean ground beef)
1/2 small onion, diced
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
1 can hunts spaghetti sauce
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

Brown turkey and onion together. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Mix cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, and Italian seasoning together in a small bowl.

*In an 11x7 baking dish, ladle in 1/4 of the spaghetti sauce. Top with 2 noodles. Ladle in 1/4 of the sauce. Top with 1/2 the meat, 1/2 the cottage cheese, 1/3 of the mozzarella. Top with 3 noodles. Repeat starting with sauce.

End with the final ladle of sauce and remaining 1/3 of mozzarella. Cover and bake 1 hour.

Remove foil and bake 10 minutes. Cool and allow to set for at least 15-20 minutes before cutting into 8.

*Diagram of lasagna from top to bottom:

Remaining mozzarella cheese & 1/4 sauce
3 noodles
1/2 meat;1/2 cottage cheese;1/3 mozzarella;1/4 sauce
3 noodles
1/2 meat;1/2 cottage cheese;1/3 mozzarella; 1/4 sauce
2 noodles
1/4 sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment