Friday, May 7, 2010

Leftovers get a makeover

I cook from scratch nearly every night at my house.

Eating out is a very rare treat. We are talking maybe once every 2 months do we eat at a restaurant, and usually it's Subway. Actual sit down restaurants like Red Lobster, Ground Round, Applebees? Maybe 3/4 times a year.

When you eat at home that often you need to be creative with what you feed your family. I like to add variety to life. The other day we had tacos. I had half a pound of meat left and so I decided to give it new life. So, two birds one stone: I saved money by not purchasing meat for a separate meal AND a tasty new taste creation. Yay!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!


Taco Bites
Makes 24
Approximately 50 calories per bite



24 square wonton skins/wraps
1 TBS butter, melted
8 oz extra lean ground turkey
3 TBS 40% reduced sodium taco seasoning (1/2 packet)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 TBS light sour cream
diced tomatoes
shredded lettuce


Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)

With a pastry brush, lightly brush both sides of each wonton square with melted butter and gently press into mini muffin cups.

Bake 8 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Remove from oven. Leave in muffin tin.

While the cups are baking, brown turkey. Add 1/2 cup water and the 3 TBS taco seasoning. Simmer until thickened. Remove from heat.

Using a small spoon or scoop, fill each baked wonton cup with a rounded scoop of taco meat.

Once all the cups are full, bake for 5 to 6 minutes, or until filling is hot and bubbling around edges.

Top evenly with cheese. Add diced tomatoes and lettuce. Finally, top with 1/2 tsp of sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so making this.


    me likes a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were so good.

    Jon took a bunch to work. Many of his coworkers have offered to let me adopt them if I will promise to cook dinner for them every night. LOL

    ReplyDelete