Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Me and my new rain boots

I am going to take a moment to go off on a tangent.

You have been warned.

Begin Tangent....NOW:
I have acquired a great walking partner. How do I know she is great? It rained today. I mean really heavy, pouring, rain. When we talked at 4pm, she had already been on a walk before the heavens opened up. Yet, she still went on a 2 mile trek with me through the muck in the woods, me grinning ear to ear the whole time. Why was I so happy to be slogging through all the crud? I was wearing my rain boots. My super bright, pink plaid rain boots that I got for my birthday. Another reason she is amazing? She calls me on those days I have ZERO desire to walk and tells me, "Well, too bad for you. I will be there in 15 minutes to pick you up. Be ready, because we are walkin'." And we always have a delightful time. So, here is my moment to praise God for a fantastic walking partner and knowing/fulfilling all my needs! Yeah God! :)

Ok, tangent over.

On to the reason for my blog today. Southwest Soup. So yummy, and so quick. This was just what I needed today to warm me up from the inside out.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Southwest Soup
Serves 5-6

1 medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1medium potato, peeled and diced small
2 cups low sodium beef broth
1 can stewed tomatoes, chopped
14 oz Turkey Sausage, diced (I like jennio low sodium)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 cup frozen corn
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter flavored cooking spray

Directions

1. Heat large pot with low fat cooking spray. Add onion, carrot, celery and salt and pepper; cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften.

2. Stir in garlic, seasoning, potato, broth and tomatoes; heat to boiling. Stir in sausage, corn, and beans. Cover and simmer gently for at least 1/2 hour to blend flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment