Monday, June 4, 2012

Pizza Burgers

Yesterday was grocery day.

I have a love-hate relationship with grocery day. On one hand I love having my pantry restocked and ready to go for two weeks (I shop 2x a month. That's why menu planning rocks.) But on the other hand, I loath trying to figure out a quick meal for shopping night supper. Have you ever brought a hungry husband grocery shopping? And tried to stick to a list and a budget? Not a good plan. Feed that man something if you want any hope of keeping things under control. LOL

Before we left I asked the hubs what he wanted for supper. He knows this is his free pass day to ask for whatever his heart desires- let's eat out, let's grab something on the way home, let's grill, etc.  Surprisingly enough he had no request. So I started flipping through my ever growing cookbook collection.  (It turned out he had a secret plan to take me out on a movie date to see Snow White and the Huntsman. Since he knew he was going to eat popcorn he was not really concerned about supper.)

Some of my favorite cookbooks are those that I have inherited or have been gifted by family. They are church cookbooks. Those folks know how to cook!

I flipped through one that I received from my lovely grandparents for Christmas one year. It has a simple inscription- Merry Christmas, Becca. Love Grandma and Grandpa 2008. But it means the world to me. It's written by hands that have cooked for generations of our family with love and joy.

I also have some of my great grandmother's cookbooks. Seeing her handwritten notes in the margins makes me smile every time. Pulling out index cards with recipes quickly scribbled down, I can't help but feel close to my family- those who are still here and those who have gone Home.

After I thumbed through a few pages I saw a recipe for Pizza Burgers. It was submitted by a woman I knew and remembered from my childhood. It looked delicious and I had all the ingredients in the pantry. Perfect for my grocery day meal. 

The original recipe  makes the burgers sloppy joe style, but I know Jon isn't a fan of loose meat. I simply formed the meat into patties and cooked them on my flattop griddle. We served these burgers with sweet potato tator tots. YUM!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Pizza Burgers
Based on a recipe by Bonnie Drake

 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 can light spam
3/4 tsp dry Italian seasoning or 1/2 tsp dry oregano + 1/4 tsp dry sage
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 can pizza sauce
hamburger buns (gf in my case)

Dice spam into small cubes.

In a small bowl combine beef, spam, seasoning, and garlic powder.  Form into 4 patties.

Cook over medium heat 7-9 minutes per side until cooked through.

Top evenly with cheeses and sauce. Tent lightly with foil to melt cheese and warm sauce.

Serve hot on hamburger buns.


No comments:

Post a Comment