Sunday, June 10, 2012

Oven Tacos

Jon and I enjoy tacos. We like to mix it up with different meats, seasonings, and veggies.

I stumbled on a recipe for oven chicken tacos and thought to myself- how did that never occur to me?! Bake the tacos in the oven- no more tippy tacos when you are trying to fill several of them to serve your family. Brilliant!

The recipe calls for store bought bbq baked beans. I opted to make my own with a cup of canned (drained and rinsed) of navy beans leftover from another night. I simply added some bbq sauce and a little water, simmered them for about 20 minutes until they had thickened up and absorbed the flavors. They turned out wonderfully- in fact, I may make my baked beans this way from now on.

This recipe is great for a family meal or a big shindig since you just bake them in the oven. Easy peasy :)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures. Cheers!

Oven Tacos
Makes 8

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1-2 tsp taco seasoning OR 1/2 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp paprika
8 hard (corn) taco shells
1 cup bbq baked beans, partially drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Optional- sour cream and diced tomatoes

Preheat oven to 400.
 
Spray a skillet with cooking spray. Cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning or cumin/paprika and 1/4 cup water. Simmer until thickened.

To assemble:

In a 9x9 baking pan, stand shells side by side. (They were a little snug in my pan, but they stood better that way anyway.)

Fill each taco evenly with the following layers- cooked chicken, baked beans, cheese, and bacon.

Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly. Top with tomatoes and sour cream if desired.





No comments:

Post a Comment