Saturday, June 23, 2012

BLT Salad

For father's day, my husband and I went to my parents house to celebrate with my dad (and really, with mom too because they are a team).

We spent the day watching Kung Fu Panda 2. Well, Mom and Jon did- Dad and I both fell asleep for a few minutes in the middle. Can we tell who I take after? And we played a spirited game of Clue.

Mom made a BLT salad that is now in my top loved salads. Dad made his special croutons for me using Udi's sandwich bread. He usually makes the croutons with regular hot dog buns but since they are gluten filled that just wasn't going to work for me. Having experienced both versions I can tell you- the gf version can hold its own! They were delish :)

My contribution was churro chex mix. I found the recipe here. It turned out really wonderful, but my cinnamon chips ceased up on the first try. I omitted the butter in the first try because in the past I have had trouble- ironically enough- with it causing the chips to cease.

I ended up giving it a second go and added a drizzle (only about 1tsp for 2 cups of chips) of olive oil to the chips. Upon reading some of the reviews, many other cooks had this same experience.

I am a seasoned cook and I have used a double boiler to melt chocolate for years. There is something different about the make up of cinnamon chips that seems to make them more likely to cease. Next time I make this recipe I will simply use white chocolate chips or almond bark with some cinnamon extract or cinnamon mixed into the chocolate.

All in all it was a great day with family. I am blessed to have two great parents who love and support each other and their families.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

BLT Salad

12-16 oz bacon
1 head romaine lettuce- rinsed, dried and shredded
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cups seasoned croutons*

1/2 cup Kraft olive oil mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon. Cool on paper towels. Blot any excess grease. Crumble and set aside.

In a blender or food processor, combine mayo, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Blend until smooth.  Season with salt to taste.

Just before serving combine lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and croutons in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and serve immediately.


* We used Dad's homemade gluten free croutons but you can use your favorite brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment