Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Blueberry (Sweet)Bread

My parents graciously gifted us some hand picked blueberries the other day. I was hoping to make a gluten free blueberry bundt cake. Unfortunately, I don't currently have a bundt pan.

To be honest, I never thought I would want to make a bundt cake so why have the pan? What I have found is most gluten free cakes are more dense than a traditional (bleached, white) wheat flour cakes. That being the case, I find myself drawn more to traditionally more heavy cakes- pound cake, bundt cake, dessert breads, etc.

So, in the absence of a bundt pan, I went with a sweet dessert bread. Jon and I both enjoyed a slice for a sweet, cakey dessert after supper last night. It hit the spot with a great balance of sweet and tart. This would be a great option for a brunch or an afternoon nibble with tea or coffee.

Before I share the recipe with you, I want to share a few pictures from the past few weeks. Jon's brother and his family came to visit us from MN. While my in-laws went on a cruise, Jon and I got the pleasure of babysitting our nephew, Zenius. 

As his mom says- some good Zen time.
Uncle Jon and our niece, Lilli at the Sea Turtle Center
We may have turned him into a Twins fan while we was here ;)



My dad rocking Zen to sleep
Mom loves babies :)
Now that you've seen what we've been up to- go make some blueberry sweet bread!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures friends. Cheers!

Blueberry Sweet Bread 
(Original recipe on girlcooksworld.com)
Makes 1 loaf

3/4 cup plus 2 TBS rice flour, divided
3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
grated zest of 1 lemon
3 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Glaze:
 2 TBS lemon juice
 1/4 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter or grease a standard-sized loaf pan.

Combine 3/4 cup of the rice flour, the sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine.

In a large bowl, mix the canola oil, sugar and eggs.  Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk.  Add to the flour mixture, stirring thoroughly to combine. 

Mix the blueberries in a small bowl with the 2 TBS of rice flour and stir lightly to coat the blueberries.  Gently fold the blueberries into the batter. 

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for approximately 60 minutes, or until the top turns a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack covered with wax paper.

Make the glaze by combining the lemon juice and granulated sugar and stir to combine.  Pour or brush the glaze over the top and sides of the loaf.  Serve warm,

No comments:

Post a Comment