Monday, August 8, 2011

Pepperoni Quiche with Hash Brown Crust

My girl, Lynn, over at Lynn's Kitchen Adventures makes a crust-less pepperoni quiche for her family. I knew I just had to try it.

So, I put it on the menu. And then I got distracted for a week or so. I went to Sam's Club with my mom and we got some dehydrated hash browns. She took half the giant container and I took the other half. As we were walking through the store, a thought occurred to her and she mentioned making a hash brown crust for the quiche.  Hmmm, that DOES sound delicious.

Today rolled around. I was tired (I had to be up at 4am for work today.) and it was hot (heat index of 109 at 5pm doesn't make you want to turn on the stove). But, Jon was set on trying this recipe tonight. So I made some modifications and gave it a try.

It turned out so great! It was yummy, filling, and made in the microwave. Perfect for a weeknight meal :)

Jon wants to have it again(always the mark of a good recipe) but with diced ham or thick cut bacon. Hmmm I think that could be arranged...

My thanks go out to Lynn for the inspiration on this one!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!


Pepperoni Quiche with Hash Brown Crust

3 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed (or 2 cups deyhdrated hash browns, rehydrated)
2 oz turkey pepperoni
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
12 oz skim milk
1 1/2 TBS corn starch
3 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp each- onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning

Brown hash browns in a skillet or griddle sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Press gently into the bottom of a large prepared casserole dish (microwave safe).

Beat together milk, eggs, corn starch, and seasonings.

Layer pepperoni over the hash browns. Top with 2/3 of the cheese. Pour egg mixture over all. Top with remaining cheese.

Microwave, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown and the egg is set.

Let cool 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment