Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Breakfast Sammy!

I got Jon to agree to my crazy cook everything in one cookbook idea.

There are some exceptions we've both agreed to: if I am allergic to it, it's not happening as written. (sorry kids, cilantro and avocados are not my friends) I will try to use a comparable substitute when possible and will list the original ingredient when/if I post a recipe.

If we don't like it, I am not wasting my time posting it. This blog turned into my virtual recipe box so I only want things we like in it :)

Also, we are omitting the beverages section(alcoholic and nonalcoholic alike). We are sticking to solid foods only.

We've agreed to try everything, even if we've had a not so great encounter previously (figs...).

The goal is try new foods and expand our horizons. (Besides, it's all pretty healthy muahaha!)

Everybody got the idea? Good, moving on.

So, I really wanted to try this ham and cheese sammy that has mango chutney. The problem? I don't have any mango chutney.

Hmmm. I do have cranberry relish though. That's sort of similar. Sort of. (My girl Kate is laughing at me, I can feel it from here)

Well, I tried it.

I make a breakfast sammy similar to this one, but was intrigued with the idea of adding a sweet element. The sweet and savory combo works so well!

Give it a whirl!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Ham & Cheese English Muffin with Relish
241 calories
1 serving


1 Thomas Better start English muffin
1/3 cup Egg Beaters original *
3 slices Land O Frost ham lunch meat
1/8 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
5 sprays Parkay butter spray
salt and pepper or Janes crazy mixed up salt
2 tsp cranberry-orange relish *

Spray a small skillet with cooking spray.

Mix butter spray, egg beaters, and seasoning together.

Pour into a preheated skillet over medium heat. Gently scramble the egg pulling it into itself to make a shape similar to the English muffin. Flip to finish cooking.

OR pour the egg beaters into a round, sprayed cookie cutter. Flip halfway through.

Split and toast English muffin.

Sprinkle half the English muffin with cheese. Top with egg.

Warm meat through in the skillet. Place on the egg. Spread relish over the egg. Top with top half of English muffin.

Serve.

* Written recipe calls for 1 large egg and mango chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment