Thursday, January 6, 2011

BLT Chicken Pita Sammy

Jon and I both worked yesterday afternoon/evening so we needed a quick meal when we got home.

I always check our schedules when I make the menu, so I had something super easy listed- BLT Chicken Pitas. I used the chicken I had taken off the bone last time I made chicken stock.

I will make a few adjustments next time we make these, but for the first time around they weren't bad.

I was nervous because they had a consistency similar to tuna salad. Jon isn't a tuna fan. He clarified for me that he isn't a WARM tuna fan. Cold in a salad is OK once in a while. (sigh of relief from me on that one!)

Jon suggested more bacon. I listed some of the alterations I will try next time at the end of the recipe.

All in all, they were good and filling.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!


BLT Chicken Pita Sammy
Serves 2
370 calories per serving (1 whole pita sandwich, 2 halves)

6 TBS light sour cream
1/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese*
1 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
3/4 cup shredded cooked chicken (about 3 ounces)
2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half

Combine first 4 ingredients, stirring well.**

Combine lettuce, chicken, bacon, and tomatoes in a medium bowl, stirring well.

Drizzle sour cream mixture over chicken mixture; toss gently to coat.

Spoon 1/4 of the chicken salad into each pita half. Serve immediately.



* The original recipe calls for blue cheese, however, Jon has an aversion to blue cheese so we opted for cheddar. Feta would probably be a fair substitute.

**Personally, this was too much dressing for me. I don't care for extra creamy chicken or tuna salads. Next time we have this I will only make half the dressing.



Other changes I will make next time: slice the tomatoes instead of dicing them and crumble the bacon over the top instead of mixing it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment