Monday, November 1, 2010

Potatoes!

I can't believe I haven't shared this recipe with you yet! Jon absolutely adores these potatoes. It's just a simple, basic gratin, but it looks so elegant when it's done.

I honestly thought there was NO way this recipe was going to work when I made it. There was so much milk and I didn't see how the potatoes were going to soak it all up. Don't be afraid, it really does work. Somehow, those taters soak every last bit up. :)

I can't remember for the life of me where I got this recipe, but it is super easy and delicious.

I use my mandoline to cut my potatoes to an even thickness. If you don't have one, get one. They come in a variety of sizes now. You can even get hand held mandolines that fit into a kitchen drawer. Once you try it, you'll never go back to slicing veggies with a knife.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Jon's Favorite Potato Gratin
Serves 4
140 calories per serving


1/2 TBS salted butter
garlic powder
1 c. skim milk
1 clove garlic, minced
2 TBS finely chopped onion or shallot
garlic salt and pepper to taste
dash of nutmeg
1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes sliced thinly ( 1/8")

1/4 c. ( 1 oz) shredded Gruyere cheese OR Swiss cheese
1/8 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

Rub a small baking dish with the butter and sprinkle with the garlic powder.

Combine milk, onion,garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and potatoes in a large nonstick skillet; Bring to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are almost tender (About 7-8 minutes).

Pour mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden.

Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment