Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Let's get creative!

So, the pantry is pretty slim pickin's until tomorrow (grocery shopping day). And what do we do when things are slim? Get creative!

I haven't built up my pantry just yet, but what I had was perfect.

I had heart healthy Bisquick. Campbell's Selects Healthy Request Chicken noodle soup. Healthy request cream of chicken soup. And a freezer full of veggies. Anyone know where I am going with this?

Chicken and dumpling soup! I adore this classic dish, but rarely take the time to make my own stock, shred the chicken from the bone, mix up my dumpling batter and blah blah blah. It's a lot of work!

Tonight, I made the most amazing chicken and dumplings in about 25 minutes. It tasted like I slaved all day over a hot stove.

I am sure you could make this in a slow cooker, but it's super quick and easy on the stove top.

I took this picture for my mom, who loves my curly hair. I am sharing it with you because well, it's November and my grass is still green. :)



Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Serves 3
245 calories per

1 can Campbell's Selects Healthy Request Chicken Noodle soup
1 can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup, undiluted
2/3 cup mixed frozen veggies
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup Bisquick Heart Healthy mix
1/4 cup skim milk

Mix soups, veggies, and water together in a pot with a lid. Bring to a simmer.

In a small bowl mix Bisquick and milk. Drop by teaspoonfuls into the simmering soup.

Reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer uncovered for 5-6 minutes. Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer.

Allow to cool slightly before serving.

* You can always add fresh herbs to your dumpling batter for extra flavor, but I didn't have any on hand. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment