Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Leftover Magic

I, like many cooks, am on a budget. I plan my meals out weekly, I cut coupons, and I stretch meals with veggies and inexpensive grains.

A few weeks ago when I was shopping for my week of preplanned meals, I spotted a deal on boneless beef ribs. They were a great price so I opted to purchase them. (I typically don't stray from my list to my husbands dismay. If it's not on the list, it doesn't go in the cart)

Since I had all my meals planned, I stuck them in my freezer to await a new week. I made ribs the same way I usually do- rubbed, cooked low and slow in the oven, then sauced. I made the entire 1 1/2 lb package knowing we'd have leftovers.

I chopped up the 4 leftover ribs and put them in the fridge. (Quirky side note- I mark my leftovers with a tag that reads "No Touchy" if I intend to use them for other meals. This way when we are making lunches, neither Jon nor I will inadvertently use up the ingredients)

So what magic did I perform? BBQ Biscuit Cups. I served them with fresh green beans and leftover chilled couscous salad.

I have made this recipe before with ground beef. I will include ingredient amounts for both preparations.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

BBQ Biscuit Cups
Serves 8
240 calories

4 fully cooked boneless ribs, chopped *
8 Pilsbury Grands Biscuits
4 TBS BBQ sauce of your choice (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded cheese of your choice (I used reduced fat cheddar)

* You may use 6 oz lean ground beef. If you do, I recommend adding in some diced onion and garlic. Also, I would add a dash of liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce.

Preheat oven to 350.

If using leftover ribs: warm them up slightly and chop roughly. Add BBQ sauce. Set aside.

If using ground beef: brown with recommended ingredients. Add BBQ sauce. Set aside.

Spray 8 cups in a muffin tin lightly with cooking spray. Gently press out biscuits into a disk. Press into the muffin tins. Fill each cup with some of the beef.

Bake for 10 minutes. Top each biscuit with cheese. Return to oven and bake 3-5 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2-5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment