Monday, October 26, 2009

When the cats away...

When the cats away the mice will play. At least that's the old saying.

God blessed us with one last surge of fall beauty while my mom was visiting. It was cool, but it wasn't too cold or snowing, and the sun was shining. Today, however, the wintery cold has returned and the blue skies gave way to dingy gray clouds.

I can make the entire world disappear from the sanctuary of my kitchen. I can put on music to set the energy of the room. I can change the mood of my entire house with the smells of baking bread, spicy soups, or sweet treats. I can take risks, try new ingredients, and experiment with ethnic flavors without anyone interfering. This is MY kitchen.

I needed something to warm up my newly empty house and since Jon was away for a few hours I did what I always do when he's gone- I cooked.

I made a chicken tortilla soup I've been itching to try. It turned out wonderful! Jon requested it go on the "make this again" list. :)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves 3-5

8 oz frozen boneless, skinless chicken
1/2 (15 oz) can Mexican style diced tomatoes, undrained
5 ounces enchilada sauce
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 ounces canned, chopped green chile peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2(14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
5 ounces frozen corn
1/2 can black beans or kidney beans, rinsed

Place all ingredients in a medium sized slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Shred chicken and return to soup for an additional 10 minutes.

Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, or shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment