Saturday, October 10, 2009

Banana Rama

Jon brought me home some perfectly ripe bananas for banana bread last week. A while back, I found a hand-written recipe from my great-grandma tucked into one of my cookbooks. It made the best banana bread I have ever had!

Summer officially died last night at 10:29pm CST. We had about 5 minutes of fall before it began. The "S" word. Sn*w. We got about 1 1/2 inches of powdery fluff that stayed on the ground. Ick.

So, I am off to make a pot of soup and enjoy a quiet night of quilting and big band orchestra music.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend! Cheers!

Banana Coffee Cake
Makes 1 large loaf

1 stick butter (I used I can't believe it's not butter for baking, it works great)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup- not packed- brown sugar
2 eggs
3 large very ripe bananas, mashed well
1 tsp vanilla
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg- optional
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream together sugars and butter until light and fluffy.

Beat in eggs, one at a time until fluffy. The mixture should be a smooth, and pale in color at this point.

Gently mix in mashed bananas. Fold in vanilla,cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and soda.

Fold in flour.

Pour into a prepared bread loaf pan.

Bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes. Check for doneness.

If needed return to oven 10 additional minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment