Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mock Risotto

Looking for an easy side dish for my grilled shrimp skewers I came across a recipe in my cooking light cookbook for a creamy orzo pasta. I decided to give it a whirl. It turned out great! It reminded me of a rich, basic risotto. I plan on trying variations of this recipe using different stocks and herbs. Will let you know how they turn out!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Mock Risotto
Serves 2

1/2 TBS I can't believe its not butter
1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
2/3 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup water
1/8 cup (1/2 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dry basil or dry Italian seasoning
dash of salt and pepper
2 tsp chopped pecans*

Heat butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add orzo, cook 3 minutes stirring constantly.

Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until liquid is absorbed and orzo is done, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to bring out the starches.

Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, basil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.

Serve immediately.


* The original recipe calls for toasted pine nuts. I don't really care for them so I substituted with chopped pecans. Jon and I agreed they were a GREAT addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment