Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Home Run!

We are quickly approaching softball season. This year Jon is playing for two teams; his regular men's league and now-church league. This means I will also be busy with games, my walking regimen, and of course, chatting with the ladies of the "First Wives of Softball" club. (You can find the three of us in our matching pink camping chairs next to our dugout pretending to pay attention long enough to keep score...)

During this wonderfully active time of year I need healthy meals, fast. While in search of said recipes I stumbled across a "copy-cat" olive garden recipe. It was for a creamy tortellini with bacon bits. Sounds delicious, but really bad for me. So, I take a peek at the nutrition facts, HOLY COW! Yep, defiantly bad. But I really wanted to try it. So I made some adjustments and tried it out tonight.

It was great. Jon gives it an 8. Not bad for him on a pasta dish. (He's a meat and potatoes kind of guy) I give it a 9. I am a pasta girl through and through! ;)

Note-I have left the brand names I used for this dish as alfredo sauces and pasta flavor sometimes varies by brand.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Creamy Tortellini with Diced Ham
Serves 3

1 small package Buitoni three cheese tortellini*
1/3 cup Classico roasted garlic alfredo sauce
3/4 cup frozen peas
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 small onion, diced small
4 oz lower sodium ham steak, diced small
fresh cracked pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions. Add peas to cooking pasta. Drain well once pasta is cooked.

Saute onion, garlic, and ham together until ham begins to caramelize and onions become translucent. Stir in alfredo sauce. Add pepper to taste.

Gently toss sauce and pasta together.

*This is a fresh pasta often found in the deli coolers or dairy cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment