Saturday, December 24, 2011

Gluten Free Lefse

It's time! It's finally time!

It's time for a Zimmerli family tradition (hmm perhaps it's a Synstelien tradition... Dad a little help on the origins please.) Either way.... it's time for lefse!

Last year I posted my southern twist on lefse. This year, I am gluten free. Because I love the tradition of lefse, I came up with a gluten free version that is just tender and flavorful as my dad's original recipe.

And once again- I caution you if you haven't ever made traditional lefse, learn from someone who knows how to prepare it. It takes years of practice and patience. But once you master it, your family will beg for it year after year.

Reheating gluten free lefse is a little more of a challenge because it naturally lacks gluten that holds it together. Adding xanthan gum helps to alleviate breaking and tearing.

For easy rewarming, I recommend putting one piece at a time in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. I fold my lefse before putting it in the fridge. If you do this as well, put the folded piece in the microwave, don't try to unfold it before you warm it or it will tear.

Before I send you off to make some delicious lefse- Charlie wanted to say hello from under "his" Christmas tree:

All the gifts have to stay on one side of the tree so he can go back into the corner to sleep and escape out the other side.

Rar! I am the keeper of the Christmas lights! (Fun fact: Charlie  has learned how to turn the lights on with the foot pedal switch so now we have to unplug the tree to prevent him from turning it on in the middle of the night.)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Gluten Free Lefse*
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen pieces

*This recipe is intended for those who already know how to cook basic lefse.

3 lbs potatoes (3-4 large)
1/4 cup skim milk
4 TBS butter
3 heavy pinches kosher salt
fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp xanthan gum
approximately 1 cup gluten free flour of your choice
1/4 cup tapioca flour
Additional tapioca flour for rolling out


Peel and cube potatoes. Put in a large pot and fill with cold water. Lightly salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until fork tender. Immediately drain.

Run potatoes through a ricer or food mill.

Warm milk and butter until butter is fully melted. Pour into riced sweet potatoes. Stir in and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, uncovered at least 4 hours until fully chilled.

Once chilled, add flours 1/2 cup at a time. Mix in until you've incorporated all the flour. You should have a soft dough that will still be slightly sticky.

Using tapioca flour- flour a large round pastry board. Pull a piece of dough the size of a golf ball. Dip in flour. Using a grooved rolling pin with a floured rolling pin sock, roll the dough out very thin. On my board I know it's thin enough when I can just barely make out the words on my pastry board.

Using a lefse stick, transfer lefse to your dry griddle. Cook 1-2 minutes per side until the bubbles are slightly golden. Do not overcook.

Move to a lefse cozy or between a few clean tea towels.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I have missed traditional lefse so much and love how this recipe cooks. Some things are hard to make gluten free.

    ReplyDelete