Monday, December 5, 2011

Easiest Turkey EVER

Ok, I know. I know. I said I'd be back more often and where have I been? Not here. I know.

But it's my crazy season kids! I work retail. It's the nature of the beast.

Take a peek at this little project- Our Advent calender for this year. Jon picked out the cute chubby penguin to mark the 25th. Even with a million and one things going on- there will always be time for arts and crafts!


This year for Thanksgiving at my parents house, we went semi non-traditional. I shared my recipe for corn bread stuffing with you in this post. I have a few more holiday recipes in upcoming blogs, so be on the lookout for those. 

Jon still had a hankering for a big turkey dinner. So, while the birds were still on sale for a great price, he picked one up. We have both been very busy with work and personal projects lately. As a result, big, family meals have been less than a priority than usual. We decided since we were both off- today was the day. Turkey day.

The best part of doing the whole meal today is I get to freeze some for future meals. And Jon gets turkey dinner leftovers for lunches- his favorite part of holiday meals. 

I found a recipe a few weeks ago I have been itching to try. It's a Trisha Yearwood recipe. It's a no-peek, hands-off recipe. I had to try it.

Here's how the day went:

I got the bird prepped and in the roaster. Cooked the turkey for 1 hour at 500. Turned it off and walked away. **Serious. Walk away (after you warn everyone in the house if they open the door the consequences will be dire...)**

We went to the beach and saw this amazingness-

Jon and I happened upon this beautiful picnic area with walking trails tucked into the trees along with beach.

I've never smelled the air so crisp, and clean as it was today.

Jon taking it all in

A sunset stroll on the beach. A perfect end to the day.

Ok! I had a day of fabulous relaxation. Walked over to the oven and took out  the "forgotten bird." Lifted the lid (braced myself in case I  just made a HUGE mistake...) And was completely wowed at the most beautiful bird I've ever cooked. I made Jon come into the kitchen and marvel at the moistness of the meat.

Made the rest of the fixin's and enjoyed a big meal with my hubby.

I love this recipe- I don't have to worry about basting or timing. It's perfect!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Easy No-Peek Turkey

1 (12-pound) turkey, completely thawed, all giblets removed
1 stick salted butter, softened
2 TBS garlic salt
2 tsp pepper
2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity
1 medium onion, cut in quarters
1 large carrot, chunked
2 cups boiling water or chicken stock

Adjust oven racks so covered roasting pan fits easily inside oven. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Rub butter on outside and in cavity of turkey. Sprinkle salt and pepper on outside of turkey. Put celery, onion, and carrot in cavity. Place turkey, breast side up, in a large roasting pan. Pour boiling water or chicken stock into pan. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and put pan in preheated oven.

Start a timer when oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F. Bake exactly 1 hour and turn off oven. Do not open oven door. Leave turkey in oven until oven cools completely; this may take 4 to 6 hours. (Mine  took about 5 hours) Carve as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment