Friday, October 7, 2011

Cheesy Veggie Pasta (GF)

I don't really know where to begin, so I'm going to start in the middle. (Just because I can!)

Fall is my season. It always has been. I love the smells, the sounds, the crisp air. And the jack-o-lanterns. I carve anywhere between 4-6 pumpkins each fall. This year I decided to carve(in addition to my real pumpkins) foam pumpkins using a hot knife. I did a small and large.  The great thing about these is I can use them again next year :)

Little Monsters!


Wise old owl

As fall sets in, Jon and I spend a large chunk of our free time together at the beach. The cooler temperatures remind me of Minnesota summers. I can't think of a better way to pass the time- with my sweetheart, beach combing while the cool breezes wrap their arms around us.

Ocean fishing

Some Black Eyed Susans in the middle of a sand dune.

Crashing waves

Beautiful clouds
Sea Oats

Peace & Serenity. This is my happy place.

The later part of summer (yes, September is summer here) was spent testing various gluten free recipes. The majority of them were no cook or grill recipes.

And, I spent some time getting comfortable going to eat at places where I didn't know what was going to be served. This isn't a big deal when you have no dietary restrictions. But let me tell you from personal experience- when you are gluten free(or any other allergy/restriction for that matter), it can be a very scary task to go out and eat. Or attend a luncheon. You don't know what's lurking in things like sauces, dressings, and coatings. It's been a challenge, but I am learning how to handle myself and ask for what I need. And at this point in my gf journey, I couldn't ask for anything more. :)

So, lets get to a recipe shall we? I'm sharing a recipe for cheesy veggie pasta. Yes, pasta. Yes, gluten free. And Jon can't tell the difference in the pasta. We both love this dish. I most often pair it with a simple grilled chicken breast.

That's about it for now. I am beyond thrilled to be back in the kitchen, doing my thing and sharing the good times with all of you.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!


Cheesy Veggie Pasta
Serves 2-3

3 oz gluten free pasta shapes
1/2 cup sliced zucchini
1/2 cup sliced yellow squash
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 small tomato, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 oz Gouda or Swiss cheese
1/2-3/4 TBS corn starch
2/3 cup milk
*Optional*
1 cup fresh spinach

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile saute mushrooms, garlic, squash, and zucchini together in a skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pain when veggies are tender.

Mix milk and corn starch together. Pour into the skillet, gently scrapping any browned bits from the bottom. Bring to a low simmer to thicken.Remove from heat. Add cheese, stir to melt.

Add drained pasta. Toss to coat. Add sauteed veggies. Add tomatoes and spinach. Toss to coat and slightly wilt the spinach.

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment