Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cheesy Chicken two ways

Lately, I've been into comfort foods from my childhood. When I think of comfort foods, I think of the great times I spent in the kitchen with my parents. Cooking together. Talking and listening to one another. In short- the foods that inspire feelings of family love.

In the winter, my mom would make cheesy chicken roll ups. I love them! They are creamy and flavorful, but super easy to put together.

Over the years, I've played with the recipe to find different flavor combinations. I'm going to share my mom's original recipe as well as the one I use more frequently. They are both excellent!

Before I get to the food though- I'd like to introduce you to Flat Stanley.   He's the fun little fella checking out a few of my cookbooks.

Flat Stanley's Kitchen Adventure

I have a teacher friend, Mr. Hart, who is doing a unit on Flat Stanley. When he told me about this project, I knew I had to be a part of it. So, I was excited ecstatic when he asked me to participate. The crafty 12 year old in me just loves this sort of thing!

For more information on Flat Stanley, check out the official website.

The great thing about this project is that every teacher, parent, or group leader can tailor it to their own needs and wants. There are  a variety of templates, including digital characters available on the website.

After I finish with my project photos for Mr. Hart, I will likely continue to photograph additional Stanley adventures. It is a fun new way to look at the places you travel every day- through the eyes of a child.

Ok, on to the food! :)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures friends. Cheers!

Mom's Cheesy (Mushroom) Chicken Roll Ups
Serves 4

16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 oz canned mushrooms, drained and roughly chopped
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1 TBS fresh chives or 1 tsp dried chives
1 TBS fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried parsley
1 TBS pimento
1 TBS dry bread crumbs
1/8 tsp paprika
1 tsp sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut chicken into 4 even pieces. Place each piece between plastic wrap or in a plastic baggie. Pound to about 1/4 inch thickness.

Mix mushrooms, cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, chives, parsley, and pimentos together in a small bowl.

Spread filling evenly over the 4 pieces of chicken. Roll up chicken and place seam side down on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.

Brush each chicken roll up with remaining sour cream. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and paprika.

Bake 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.



* Gluten free options:
1. Omit the bread crumbs all together.

2. Make your own gf bread crumbs by pulsing a slice of gf bread in a food processor.
3. If you are lucky enough to have store bought gf bread crumbs, use them :)


Becca's Cheesy(Bacon) Chicken Roll Ups
Serves 4

16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
4 strips of turkey bacon, pan fried and roughly chopped
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 TBS pimento
1 TBS dry bread crumbs*
1/8 tsp paprika
1 tsp sour cream


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Cut chicken into 4 even pieces. Place each piece between plastic wrap or in a plastic baggie. Pound to about 1/4 inch thickness.


Mix bacon, cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, cracked pepper, and pimentos together in a small bowl.


Spread filling evenly over the 4 pieces of chicken. Roll up chicken and place seam side down on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.


Brush each chicken roll up with remaining sour cream. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and paprika.


Bake 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.



* Gluten free options:
1. Omit the bread crumbs all together. 2. Make your own gf bread crumbs by pulsing a slice of gf bread in a food processor.
3. If you are lucky enough to have store bought gf bread crumbs, use them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment