Sunday, October 3, 2010

Saddle up partner

Here we go kiddies.

It's time for a new adventure.

In 2 1/2 very short weeks Jon and I will say good-bye to the place we've called home for the last several years. We will be leaving behind/selling most of our "stuff" and taking only the things that we truly treasure. We will be driving the long road from Minnesota to southern Georgia with the help of my parents. We feel blessed to have such wonderful travel companions willing to drive 1600 miles!

We are thrilled that God has given us this opportunity. Please pray for us for safe travels and as we get settled into our new surroundings.

I was recently asked if I would continue my blog once we moved. The answer is a resounding yes. I love to cook, no matter where we live.

Since we are moving soon, not a ton of new recipes are coming out of my kitchen at the moment. Mostly, we are using up the food we've got stocked in the freezer and the cupboards.

So, now that you know where we are going, it's time for a pop quiz. What do you think of when you hear Georgia? Peaches and pecans.

I don't have any peaches, besides, they aren't in season. But I do have pecans. My mom sent them to me when they were in season. I store them in the freezer so I can use them as long as possible. (If you store them at room temp the oils can go rancid before you eat them all up, and that's just sad!)

I use them to make pecan crusted chicken and pork.

I use them in pasta dishes.

And, I love to use them to make cheese balls for holiday parties. My niece loves to help make this recipe because she gets to squish the cheese with her fingers.

I am sure I will have plenty more pecan recipes coming your way in the future. Until then, this will have to tide you over. ;)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Mom's Pecan Crusted Cheese Ball
Plan ahead, this is best made the day before

2 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese
1 (1 oz) packet Hidden Valley ranch DRY salad dressing mix (NOT buttermilk mix, it's too salty)
2-1/2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
1 to 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans

With clean hands, combine the cream cheese and dry dressing mix together thoroughly.

Add cheddar cheese and mix well.

Shape into one large ball or into a log.

Roll in chopped pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Serve with crackers, pretzels, or fresh veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment