Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Quick Quiche

So, as you all know from my last post I am using what is in the cupboards for meals.

Well, today was rough day for me. I am working on passing another kidney stone, boo. While the pain was in a temporary lull I decided to make dinner. A feat I am told was rather comical to watch... (Yes, Jon was my supervision so I didn't do anything silly.)

I stood in front of the fridge and got this genius idea to make a veggie quiche. We had egg beaters, a pie crust, leftover broccoli, and diced onion. I added a few extra things and threw it in the oven. Jon gave me the thumbs up to keep this one. Maybe it was because I was really hungry, but I thought it was fantastic ;)

Just a side note to all my friends watching your cholesterol- this dish only has 34mg of cholesterol per serving. Egg beaters are an amazing substitute that allows for enjoyment of breakfast dishes such as quiche. The texture and flavor match that of a "real egg." I do suggest sticking with the name brand on this though. I didn't particularly care for the generic brands of other egg substitutes I've tried.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Quick Quiche
Serves 6-8
147 calories for 8 servings
197 calories for 6 servings

1 frozen pie crust, thawed
1 cup egg beaters, original flavor
1 whole fresh egg
3 TBS low fat buttermilk
3/4 cup steamed, chopped broccoli
3 oz Farmland 95% fat free diced ham
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 350.

Spray a skillet with cooking spray or 5-7 sprays of Parkay spray butter. Saute onion and ham. Remove from heat. Stir in broccoli. Evenly distribute in the unbaked pie crust.

Sprinkle pie filling with half the cheese.

Beat together egg beaters, 1 egg, buttermilk, salt and pepper. Pour over filling.

Top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.

*Helpful Hint: I usually cover the pie crust fluted edges with some aluminum foil for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil for the remaining 10 minutes. This prevents the crust from getting to dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment