Saturday, July 18, 2009

Spicy Success

Well folks, I have been working on my lifestyle change now for 5 months to the day. As of this morning, I am officially over halfway to my recommended weight for my height. In fact, I have lost 24.5 pounds by eating right and walking. No pills, no shakes, no crash diets or cutting carbs. Nope, this has been made possible by hard work, determination, and a close personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

I stumbled onto a website called sparkpeople.com back in March when I had finally reached my breaking point. It is a website with meal plans, exercise plans, support groups, certified nutritionist and physicians advice, best of all, it's 100% free. No fees or service plans, no driving to weigh-ins, no counting points, basically no pressure. My favorite thing about the site is it empowers the user to make life long changes. The website makes it clear this is not a quick fix, changing your life takes time and dedication. But, eventually it becomes second nature.

Another facet of the website is a user submitted recipe collection. It's like one big recipe swap, but it's all healthy food. Today's recipe is one I found in one of my Cooking Light cookbooks. I have shared it on the website and gotten wonderful feedback. Taste and enjoy!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Huevos Rancheros
Serves 4

· 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
· ½ can diced green chilies
· 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
· 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
· 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
· 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed ,partially mash and heat through
· 4 large eggs
· 4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
· 4 oz feta cheese

Combine the tomatoes, chilies, and enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and lime juice. Set aside.

Heat tortilla in a dry pan until slightly golden.

Lightly fry eggs in a pan sprayed with cooking spray. We like ours over easy.

Spread about 1/3 cup beans over each tortilla; top each tortilla with 1 egg. Spoon 1/4 of the sauce around each egg; sprinkle each serving with 1 oz of feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment