Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mushroom Love

I love mushrooms. Sauteed, fresh, canned, it doesn't matter as long it's edible. Tonight I stumbled across a recipe on sparkrecipes.com for chicken mushroom hash.

Here's my thought process on this one: " Hmmm potatoes, mushrooms, garlic, and chicken. There was no way this could go wrong. Add to that, what?! this is HEALTHY?! Only 325 calories for a heaping plate? OK, I'm in. " And yes, I added the calculations again to be sure because I didn't belive the amount of food I was eating was only 325 cal. Sure enough, it was.

And you know, I couldn't finish my one serving it was so big! No deprivation for this girl.

Well, folks, it was fantastic. A definite keeper in my little red book. (I keep all my healthy and amazingly flavorful food in a red leather bound book)

So here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Chicken Mushroom Hash
Serves 2*

1 lb. potatoes, diced (2 medium)
1/4 lb mushrooms, quartered
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
10 1/2 oz. chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 1/2Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/8 c. light sour cream
1/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
fresh parsley

In a large nonstick frying pan, heat about 1/2 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned.

Add the chicken, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, and the Italian seasoning. Saute until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the mixture from the pan.

Heat the remaining oil over moderately high heat. Add the diced potatoes and let cook, without stirring, for 6 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir the potatoes, and cook until well browned and fully cooked through.

Stir in the chicken and mushrooms, the sour cream, and the parsley. Cook until just heated through. Sprinkle with mozzarella.

*The recipe makes 2 servings, but could easily feed 3, maybe even 4 comfortably. Also note, the original author served this with a fried egg and no cheese. I substituted dry thyme with Italian seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment