Monday, February 13, 2012

Grilled Fish Tacos

I asked Jon what he wanted to eat this week. He thought about it for a minute and decided on... wait for it.... fish tacos.

I was a little surprised at his response. For years he as told me how much he is not a fan of fish. Then it was amended to not liking fish that tastes "fishy". Now, we are finally at the point where he enjoys fish. YAY!

So here I am, with a request for fish tacos. I have never so much as eaten a fish taco, let alone cooked one. I must admit, the concept was difficult for me to wrap my head around. Keep in mind I have made beef, chicken, and black bean tacos. But never have I ventured into a seafood version.

I had to go in search of a recipe. Most of the versions I found involved battering and deep frying the fish. I just don't roll that way folks. I just can't bring myself to deep fry anything. It's too unhealthy for my liking. So I continued my hunt for the perfect first time fish taco recipe. After a little more searching, I came across a grilled fish taco recipe and I knew it was the right one for us.

I was excited because it used fish I haven't tried before. The recipe calls for mahi-mahi or Pacific halibut. I was unable to find mahi-mahi, which was my first choice. So we opted for another fish we hadn't ever used- cod. I knew it was a firm fish and thought it would be good for grilling.

Once we came to taco night, it was very cold out. Like low 20's with wicked winds. I wasn't feeling like grilling in the chilly elements so I opted to broil the fish instead. Though it didn't have the smokey flavor from grilling, the overall taste was fantastic. Between the spice rub and the cool, crunchy, lime-spiked coleslaw, these tacos are made to satisfy both your tummy and your taste buds.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Grilled Fish Tacos
3 servings, 2 tacos each

2 tsp chili powder
1 TBS lime juice
1 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 pound mahi-mahi or Pacific halibut  1/2-3/4 inch thick, skinned and cut into 4 portions

Lime-Spiked Coleslaw

1/8 cup sour cream
1/8 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp  lime zest
1 TBS lime juice
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 1/2 to 2 cups finely shredded red or green cabbage

6 corn tortillas


To prepare fish: Combine chili powder, lime juice, oil, cumin, onion powder, garlic power, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the spice rub all over fish. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes for the fish to absorb the flavor.

To prepare slaw: Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lime zest, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; mix until smooth and creamy. Add cabbage and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray and set on the grill rack. Grill the fish until it is cooked through and easily flakes with a fork, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to a platter and separate into large chunks.

To warm your tortillas: wrap 6  tortillas in barely damp paper towels; microwave on High for 30 seconds. Wrap tortillas in a clean towel to keep warm.

To serve, layer grilled fish, slaw and your favorite taco toppings on a warmed tortilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment