Friday, February 10, 2012

Braised Beef & Mushrooms

Lately, I have been hanging out on a website called Eating Well. They have hundreds of delicious, healthy, filling meals to choose from.

One thing that caught my eye right away was braised beef & mushrooms. I love cooked mushrooms and I adore a good tender beef that has been slow cooked. They way it melts in your mouth is magical. Yea, I said magical.

My parents came over for supper this evening and I decided it was a perfect time to test out this dish. Yes, I am one of those cooks- a cook who isn't afraid to try something new on company. Mind you that I am very careful about what I choose to try out on my guinea pigs, I mean my guests. I always read the reviews and make adjustments as needed. I'm glad I took the risk on this one kids!

It was a hit. It was very flavorful and satisfying. I served it over mashed potatoes with a side of fresh sugar snap peas.

This will definitely be in my "company worthy meal" file. Even the pickiest eaters will dig this dish. My husband who claims to not like mushrooms cleaned his plate without a single complaint. That, is a winning dish in my book!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!


Braised Beef & Mushrooms
Serves 5-6

1 TBS olive oil
2 cups diced sweet onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 TBS tomato paste
1 TBS sweet paprika
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2 in cubes
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
8 oz button mushrooms
8 oz portobello mushrooms
1/2 cup beef stock
splash of red wine- optional
2-3 tsp fresh minced tarragon or dill to garnish

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent and beginning to brown. Remove from heat. Stir in all remaining ingredients except fresh tarragon or dill.

Transfer meat and mushroom mixture into a large casserole dish with a tight fitting lid. Bake for 2 1/2 hours until meat is very tender.

Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes undisturbed. Skim off visible fat.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat and mushrooms to a holding dish and keep warm. Pour remaining juices into a skillet. Simmer until reduced by half.

Return meat to the casserole dish. Pour reduced juices over all. Sprinkle with fresh tarragon or dill. Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment