Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cinnamon Bun Rice Crispy Bars

Not too long ago I was reading through my food blog roll. I found this recipe from Cooking Classy. I knew instantly I had to try it.

Jon is a huge fan of rice crispy bars. I love quick variations with different marshmallows- Kraft always has fun seasonal flavors. And, instead of rice crispy cereal, I like to substitute with cocoa pebbles, fruity pebbles, or cupcake pebbles. It's fun to have something a little different that is super easy.

My friend Dawn makes an amazing peanut butter rice crispy bar that has butterscotch and chocolate chips melted together and spread over the top. They are my absolute favorite treat.

But, these cinnamon bun flavored bars are a very close second. I found some cinnamon bun swirl marshmallows and used them in place of original flavor. Then I frosted the whole pan with cream cheese frosting. (Please hold while I wipe the drool from my keyboard!) Jon, who isn't generally a fan of cream cheese frosting, loved these.

So a huge thank you to Cooking Classy for sharing this fantastic recipe!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Cinnamon Bun Rice Crispy Bars
Makes one 9x13 pan

3 TBS butter
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp molasses
2 tsp cinnamon
1 bag Kraft Cinnamon Bun flavored marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract
7 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Stir in salt, molasses, and cinnamon.  Add marshmallows, stir to coat with butter mix.

Return to microwave and cook for 1 1/2 minutes at 60% power. Stir well. Microwave again for 30 seconds at 60% power. Add vanilla and stir well. 

Fold in Rice Krispies Cereal, stirring until evenly coated.  Pour Rice Krispie Treat mixture into a prepared 9x13 pan.  Spread mixture evenly into pan with buttered fingers.(This is a fun part for kiddos to help out with.)

Allow the rice crispy treats to cool, then spread Cream Cheese Frosting evenly over top with a butter knife or an icing spatula.  Cut into squares. Dust with additional cinnamon if desired.

Cream Cheese Frosting

2 TBS butter,at room temperature*
2 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cups powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, whip together butter and cream cheese until fluffy.  Stir in vanilla. Slowly add in powdered sugar and mix until smooth and fluffy. (You can do this by hand or with a hand mixer.)

*DO NOT microwave your butter. The resulting frosting will be runny and won't ever set quite right)

No comments:

Post a Comment