Sunday, January 15, 2012

Artichoke and Spinach Lasagna

When I was growing up, my mom would occasionally make non-traditional lasagna for a treat. She had a few in her recipe box, and they were all delicious. One my favorites was an amazing meatless lasagna. The leftovers are divine.

My wonderful parents were able to find me some gluten free lasagna noodles last week. I was so excited to be able to have mom's lasagna again. We made a double batch last night- it was just as good as the original. My mom and dad, who still eat gluten, couldn't tell the difference in the pasta. Hurray!

The pasta they found was from Tinkyada. I was very pleased with the results. The noodles weren't mushy or mealy. The texture was that of a traditional lasagna noodle. If you can find Tinkyada products- give them a try.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures friends. Cheers!

Artichoke & Spinach Lasagna
Serves 4


  ½ cup onion                                        
  14 oz spaghetti sauce             
  1/2 to 1 can artichokes, drained and chopped (I like to use one
   can)
  2 cloves garlic
  ½ tsp dry rosemary
  4 lasagna noodles (traditional or gluten free depending on your
  needs)
  2-3 oz feta
  1 cup chicken stock*         
  1 ½ cups mozzarella                          
  5 oz thawed frozen spinach


Preheat oven to 350.

 Press spinach dry. I do this in a clean tea towel or cheesecloth, but you can just squeeze the water out with your hands.

 Spray a skillet with cooking spray. Sauté onion and garlic for 3 min. Stir in broth and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Add chopped artichokes and spinach. Reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes. Add spaghetti sauce.

In a large pot of salted water, simmer noodles about 10 minutes. (I prefer to put bring the water to a boil, add the noodles. Put a lid on the pot and turn off the heat. Let the pasta hang out in the water for 10-12 minutes. I find my noodles don't break as easily this way.)
 
Spray a 10x6 pan with cooking spray.

Spread 1/3 of the artichoke mix in prepared pan. Top with 2 noodles. Sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella over noodles. Repeat. Top with feta and remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella.

 Bake covered 25 minutes. Uncovered 10. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

* You can sub with vegetarian chicken flavor broth or vegetable broth if you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment