Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lasagna Soup, take 2

Lasagna soup is my all time favorite soup, no other soup even comes remotely close. I posted the recipe last winter when I discovered it. I have made it several times since then.

Then, I went gluten free. I was REALLY disappointed because the soup had cheese tortellini. Today I decided to give it a new twist.

I omitted the tortellini and added about a cup of diced butternut squash. It was. phenomenal. I like it better than the original recipe.

Jon agreed the new, more veggied up version is delicious. The fact that he loves when I put more veggies in a dish still confuses me to no end. This is the man who claims he can live by meat alone...

This soup gets better as it sits. The pasta will continue to suck up the broth even after cooking- when reheating leftovers simply add a little water or chicken stock to return it to a soup consistency.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Lasagna Soup- Gluten Free Version
Serves 4-6

8oz lean breakfast turkey sausage
1/4 cup minced onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
8oz tomato sauce
3 cups fresh spinach
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
2 tsp. basil + 2 tsp. oregano OR 4 tsp dry Italian seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup diced butternut squash
3/4 cup gluten free pasta shapes- spirals or shells work best
diced or shredded mozzarella cheese


Brown the turkey, onion, and garlic together in a soup pot.

Add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and broth. Add in the spices. Bring the soup to a light boil and then reduce to a simmer.

Cover and simmer soup for 30 minutes or longer.

Stir in the diced butternut squash. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes.

Add in the spinach and pasta. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat.

In the bottom of each serving bowl- sprinkle about 2 TBS of shredded cheese or a few small cubes of diced cheese. Ladle in soup. Top each bowl with additional cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment