Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sausage and Corn Frittata

Things have been crazy around this house lately. Cr-a-z-y.  Between work, family, being sick, and battling ants, I've been a little on the slow side when it comes to posting. I do hope to get back to blogging more soon.

Let me just say- no one warned me about the bajillions of ants that inhabit the south. And yes, I am pretty sure that is a real statistic... Since much of the soil here seems to be sand, the ants love it. And, they really enjoy trying to squeeze into my house through even the tiniest, tiniest, most indistinguishable pinholes they can find. It's been an ongoing battle. People assure me it's not my fault (my kitchen and house are spotless) the little buggers will try to find some water and food, particularly when there is a big drought. So, until the rains come, I will just keep washing the ants down the drain. Sigh. Can someone send some rain my way  please?

Because I need to eat to keep my warrior-like strength for doing battle (LOL) I decided to try a new cooking light recipe. I settled on a 5 ingredient frittata dish. Doesn't it look delicious?

It was just what we were looking for. I served it with toast and orange juice. A complete breakfast for supper. :)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Smoked Sausage & Corn Frittata
Serves 4
174 calories per serving 

Cooking spray 
4 ounces smoked turkey sausage, quartered lengthwise and diced 
1 1/2 cups frozen shoepeg white corn, thawed 
1 large egg  plus 4 large egg whites 
1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese*
1/4-1/2 tsp dry thyme
 Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Stir in corn, reduce heat to medium-low.
Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Drizzle evenly over sausage mixture. Cover and cook 8 minutes or until almost set. 
Remove pan from heat; sprinkle evenly with cheese and herbs. Cover and let stand 2 minutes.Cut into wedges.
* I used smoked gouda cheese in place of the cheddar

No comments:

Post a Comment