Friday, June 24, 2011

Crock Pot Beef Sammy

Raise your hand if you love your crock pot! ( Entire arm raised way up and waving around for this girl, you know, like the eager elementary school child who really wants the teacher to call on them)

I found a recipe for crock pot beef sammys in one of my busy cook recipes a few weeks ago. Then, I came across it again over at Our Best Bites. (These girls rock in the kitchen!) I figured it was time to give it a try.

Oh my goodness. I should have known they were going to fabulous. Beef, cheese, banana peppers, and bread- I see nothing bad about this. :)

I didn't follow either of the recipes exactly, but I used them as a basic guideline. The sandwiches turned out fantastic. And, the best part was I didn't have to turn the oven on! You gotta love that when the heat index is 112. We served a chilled pasta salad for a side dish. Super easy, minimal effort. It was a great meal.

Before I post the recipe, I wanted to share a few photos with you:

The first is of Charlie, hanging out on the back patio. He is only allowed to play outside when there is little to no smoke.

Next is a picture of a little orange kitty who has adopted our subdivision. She is very people friendly.  I think Charlie wants to be her boyfriend, she's the only cat he doesn't try to run off "his" property. My mom decided she looks very sassy, so that is what I will call her from now on :) She's a tiny little thing with giant paws and a big fluffy tail.

The last photo I am sharing today is of the smoke in my backyard. There are still several wild fires across the state (We praise God that we are safe and just have to deal with smoke and ash as the wind carries it to us) This particular day it was very thick, the air was heavy with humidity and the smoke just seemed to weigh everything down. And then, a few hours later, the skies were clear.

They say that when fires are named (several of those currently burning have been named), the only way to fully extinguish them is to have tropical weather that also has a name. It's been so dry here and there is no significant weather on the way. But, the rain that fell on my roof last night was a sweet blessing from God. I sat and listened as the water pounded the concrete slab, praising God for his goodness.

Mr. Handsome pants out on the patio

Little Miss Sassy Pants

Smoke rolls in from wild fires around the state.




Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Crock Pot Beef Sammy
Makes 7-10 sandwiches

2 TBS oil
2 lb. beef roast
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2  jar sliced mild (sweet) banana peppers, undrained
garlic salt
pepper

hard rolls or Ciabatta buns
sliced provolone cheese



Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Season meat with garlic salt and pepper.

When the oil is hot, sear the roast on all sides so the outsides of it is browned and a little crispy.

Meanwhile, place onion and garlic on the bottom of the crock pot. 

Transfer the roast to a slow cooker. Pour the peppers and their juices over the roast.  Cook on high until the liquid comes to a boil and then turn it to low and cook until the roast shreds easily with a fork, for a total cooking time of about 6-8 hours.

For sandwiches, slice the rolls and then top with the shredded beef. Add a slice of provolone cheese and then place under the broiler for 1-3 minutes or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.(Toasting is optional)

Serve.

1 comment: