Thursday, May 19, 2011

Home Fries

Jon is a meat and potatoes boy. He has been as long as I've known him.

His mom used to make broiled chicken wings. Jon and his brothers LOVED them. So much so that at one point I had to write to his mom (she lives overseas for work) and ask her for her recipe. After a test run, I had to teach Jon and his brothers how to make them since their momma can't just whip up a batch for them. (Well, she could, but they'd be really cold by the time they arrived).

Sometimes, when things have been stressful or if he's feeling lonesome for his family I make up a batch of his mom's wings.

I'd love to share her recipe with you, but he told me no sharing Mom's secret recipe. (Same thing for her zucchini bread. Sorry kiddos). I am thankful his Mom shared her recipes with me. :)

So, instead, I will share my recipe for the home fries I often serve with the wings. It's another one of those recipes that is more of a guideline than an actual recipe so go ahead and play with it until you find the blend of spices you like.

Par boiled, then seasoned liberally, the fries are baked in the oven. We love them. They are so flavorful we usually don't dip them in anything. Once in a great while, we dip them in a garlic-mayo sauce. Tasty.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Baked Home Fries
serves 2

About 140 calories per serving


2 medium potatoes
2 tsp olive oil
-dry mustard
-dry Italian seasoning
-garlic powder
-garlic salt
-pepper
-Jane's crazy mixed up salt

Wash potatoes and pat dry. Leave the skins on.

Using either a mandoline or a sharp knife slice the potatoes into sticks. If I use my mandoline I have an insert that cuts nice even sticks- I use about 1/4 inch thickness. If I hand slice them I make them just a hair larger.

Put potatoes in a pot of warm water. Lightly salt. Bring to a simmer. Cook potatoes about 3 minutes. Drain water. CAREFULLY pat fries dry.

Combine oil and potatoes in a medium-large bowl. Season liberally with spices of your choosing.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line a baking sheet with foil and spray liberally with cooking spray. Spread fries over the foil into a single layer.

Bake 15 minutes. Using a spatula, gently flip. Bake 15-20 minutes longer until tender and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment