Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A little kick

Before I moved from MN, my friend Kate gave me a tasty treat. She has a family spice mix that her dad makes that is pure gold. I haven't ever had anything quite like it.

Like any good secret family recipe, she's not giving it up.

She made an amazing seasoned mayo with the spice mix and we had it with beef fondue. It made quite the impression on my little taste buds.

After I moved she posted this blog about Emeril Lagasse's original essence recipe. It's not her family mix, but it's a fair substitute.

I used the essence recipe as a base for my own spice mix. I really only use the mix to make my own spicy mayo. And I use that as one of my go to condiments.

My favorite use is as the spread on a turkey sandwich. Nice hearty 5 grain bread, thinly sliced turkey, thick cut ripe tomatoes, lettuce, Swiss cheese, sweet banana peppers, and spiced mayo. Perfection.

I took the original recipe and altered it to fit my own tastes. To make my creole mayo I simply mix store bought mayo with small amounts of the seasoning until I get the flavor I like. There really is no special ratio or science behind it. Just keep adding the spice a little at a time until you like what you've got. The flavors do intensify as it sits, if it gets to strong, simply add a bit more mayo.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!


Emeril's Essence
Makes 2/3 cup


2 1/2 TBS paprika
2 TBS salt
2 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS black pepper
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS cayenne pepper
1 TBS dried leaf oregano
1 TBS dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

No comments:

Post a Comment