Thursday, September 2, 2010

That's a Wrap

It was cold and rainy today.

I was in the mood to make chicken broth for soup, we are after all quickly approaching fall.

As I've said before, I don't usually follow a specific recipe for these types of things. I just see what meat and veggies I have in the fridge and throw them in the pot. I typically use whole chickens for chicken stock, but I didn't have any on hand today.

Instead I used three boneless, skinless, chicken thighs. I tossed them into a pot filled with about 5 cups of water and 1 1/2 TBS chicken base. For veggies-4 whole small carrots, 1/2 a red onion, 3 portabella mushrooms, 2 cloves garlic, and 1 scallion. Spices were last to arrive at the broth party- peppercorns, salt, celery seed, and a small bay leaf. I simmer everything together for about 1 1/2 hours.

I removed the solids and was left with a flavorful, clear broth. I pulled the chicken pieces out and shredded them with a fork. They were juicy and tender. I needed to eat the meat. It wasn't optional...

We decided to make chicken BLT wraps for supper. They were "super yummy!" - Jon's description. :)

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Chicken BLT Wraps
Serves 3
259 calories per*

5 oz shredded chicken meat
3 Large flour tortillas
6 slices turkey bacon, pan fried
1 large tomato, sliced
2 TBS light miracle whip
3 iceberg lettuce leaves

Spread each tortilla with 1/3 of the miracle whip.

Divide the chicken evenly among the tortillas.

Add two slices of bacon to each.

Top with tomatoes and lettuce. Wrap tortilla around filling and eat immediately.

* If you divide 1 oz of shredded cheddar cheese among the three wraps the calorie content becomes 308 per wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment