Saturday, June 26, 2010

Breakfast on the go

Work for me means early mornings. I need a filling breakfast to keep me going strong. The catch? I don't like to eat right when I wake up. So I need things I can eat on the fly that will stay with me to keep me satisfied.

I came up with a breakfast "hot pocket" that can be made a head of time and quickly reheated in the microwave. They've become a fast favorite for my husband who sometimes misses a big sit down breakfast.

These little bundles are very versatile, you can put whatever fillings you like in them. Think omelet wrapped in bread...Dever omelet, Philly cheese steak omelet, mushroom, feta cheese, and spinach omelet, the combinations are endless. Bacon is Jon's favorite so that is where the original recipe came from. Be creative!

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Breakfast To Go
Serves 4
400 calories per

4 Large Eggs
8 slices turkey bacon
2 oz good quality cheddar cheese (I like Cabot)
1 tube refrigerated pizza crust

Pan fry bacon until crisp. Set aside to cool.

Spray a medium sized skillet with cooking spray. Scramble and cook eggs until just set. Season with garlic salt and pepper.

Cut bacon into bite size pieces. Stir into eggs. Add cheese. Gently combine.

Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Pat pizza crust into a large rectangle (about 11 x13) Cut into 4 smaller rectangles.

Evenly distribute egg mixture among the four rectangles. Fold dough over the filling, be sure to seal all the edges on the four pockets. Poke a small air vent on the top of each pocket to allow steam to escape.

Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. These are "hot pockets" that I could definitely go for. Very creative! Thanks for sharing the recipe- and thanks from the farm families who own Cabot for recommending Cabot cheddar!
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete