Sunday, February 28, 2010

Simple Pleasures

Life has been crazy around my house.

If you read my last post, I have been gathering myself up for an exciting future. Well, all that gathering takes up a lot of time and energy. Today I was thinking I needed some simplicity in my life.

I wanted to cook something delicious and yet I wanted something raw and simple. I wanted to taste all the flavors and complexities the ingredients had to offer in and of themselves. I found what I was looking for.

A creamy squash soup served in a crystal clear bowl, a touch of elegance on an average day. It was, as all meals should be, an experience for all the senses.

My hope for you is that you would take time to enjoy to simple pleasures of life.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 4
101 calories per serving

1 TBS country crock margarine spread
3 1/2 cups cubed, peeled butternut squash
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 TBS Italian seasoning
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup fat free half and half
fresh cracked pepper
Jane's Crazy Mixed up Salt

Melt margarine in a large stock pot. Add onion, celery, garlic, carrot, and squash. Saute for 10-12 minutes.

Add stock. Bring to a simmer. Add Italian seasoning. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove from heat. Stir in half and half.

Place soup in a blender. Remove the center piece of the life to allow steam to escape. Secure blender lid. Place a clean towel over the opening to prevent splatters. Blend until smooth.

Return soup to pan. Add pepper and mixed up salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment