Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sooie! Pig, pig, pig, pig!

Ham, I love you!

I love pork. Bacon, ham, pork chops, pork steaks, ham shanks, and the list goes on.

Jon also is a big fan of piggies and the meat we get from them. He asked me to make a brown sugar glazed ham last Easter. I did and he said it was an "instant classic". Ok, so file that one in the keep pile.... ;)

I got a hankering for that ham the other day so I pulled out the recipe. I decided to add some honey that I bought from my local farmer's market to the mix. It was better than the original. Jon and I agree, the honey makes the difference.

It's a bit sweet and a bit salty, the leftovers are amazing! Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Oven Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Rub

1/4 ready to cook ham (around 6-8 pounds)
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 TBS flour
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup honey
3 TBS cider vinegar or white vinegar
3 TBS coarse ground mustard
1/2 cup water or (ham or chicken) stock

Preheat oven to 275.

Place ham, cut side down, in a baking dish. Pour water into dish.

Combine sugar, flour, pepper, honey, vinegar, and mustard. Smear over ham.

Lightly tent with aluminum foil. Bake approximately 4 1/2 hours. Baste every hour. Remove foil for last 45 minutes.

-Most hams directions are to bake 22 min per pound at 325. I reduce the heat and increase the time to keep my ham juicy and tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment