Thursday, June 4, 2009

Space Cabbage

I grew up with Ren and Stimpy. Yea, I know, it explains a lot about me.

Anyway, I want to revisit a cartoon about an abusive chihuahua and his ever loyal best friend, an incredibly stupid cat. There is one episode that still sticks out in my head. It comes up every time I make a cabbage dish. It's call "Marooned." Ren and Stimpy have become marooned on a distant planet and are looking for food. Stimpy has found some space cabbage and has prepared it for his buddy. Ren asks what is for dinner. Stimpy proudly removes the lid to the platter and announces- It's space cabbage, and it's stinky! Just how you like it!

If you would like to watch it, I have included a link:

http://www.truveo.com/ren-stimpy-marooned/id/2989242866

I made unstuffed sarmas for dinner the other night. Jon isn't a fan. He likes cabbage, he likes meat. Just not all together. It's a texture thing mostly. I made a great light version with turkey instead of pork and hamburger. Jon asked what was for dinner, I couldn't help myself, I replied- "I have a surprise for you! Space cabbage, and it's stinky! Just how you like it!" He got the reference and giggled.

They were fantastic. I had some for leftovers for lunch. Try them, at least once in your life. You might find you like them. It was a great treat for me.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Sarma Casserole
Serves 4

1/2 lb lean ground turkey
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup uncooked Instant Rice
½ small onion, chopped
1 can diced Tomatoes- fire roasted
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 small head Cabbage – sliced*
8 oz can FRANKS sauerkraut


Preheat oven to 375

Brown ground meat with onion and garlic in skillet stirring and crumbling the meat as it cooks.

While meat browns, cut cabbage into wedges and then slice each wedge to make small, but not tiny, shreds.

To cooked meat, add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, uncooked rice, and salt/pepper to taste. Allow to simmer briefly. Add water if the mixture seems to need it. The rice will absorb approximately 1/2 cup of liquid.

Place a layer of cabbage in a large prepared casserole. Cover the cabbage with a layer of the meat/rice/tomato mixture. Top with some sauerkraut. Repeat layers till all ingredients are used up. Try to end with a meat mixture layer.

Bake covered about an hour. Allow to set 5-10 minutes before serving.

* You can use preshredded cole slaw mix if you are in a pinch, I prefer just a small head of green cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment