Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Granola?!

We had company over last night. Now this may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but it's been a long winter this year and we have a tendency to hibernate out of the cold. It was delightful to see people again.

As our company walked in the door, I popped in a batch of maple granola. As politely as possible, my female friend tugged on my arm and stated quietly: "You know, honey, they sell that
pre-made in the grocery stores." I giggled as I pulled the pan out of the oven to give the sweet, whole grain mix a good shimmy/shake.

I like granola, but I like it in a pure state. No preservatives, not a bunch of added sodium. So I make my own. This recipe uses a lot of things I have in my house on a regular basis. And when you get to the pure maple syrup- it must be pure. Good quality only, it's a bit pricey, but well worth the price tag. And, a little goes a very long way. No Mrs. Butterworth please. Blech!

If you are in the mood for some mildly amusing entertainment and adventure, try some homemade granola :)

Maple Granola

2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup whole almonds
1/4 cup carob covered raisins
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup apple juice concentrate
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried tropical blend fruit


Preheat oven to 300° F.

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the dried fruit and carob raisins, toss well.

Spread on large cookie sheet and bake 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.

Once completely cool, stir in dried fruit and raisins.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I meant to say: I have some amazingly delicious honey that I imagine would be a good substitute for the maple syrup. I'll have to try that. Sans the tropical fruit, of course. And the coconut. Hmmm. Maybe add some Georgia pecans instead...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try the pecans in my next batch. The honey idea sounds very promising as well! Let me know if you make some and how you like it.

    ReplyDelete