Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Wontons 3 ways!!!

Hello from Covid19 Quarantine! What a wild time we are living in. Large cities in complete lock down. Entire countries under house arrest. We are living a historic moment.

How are you dealing with things? I have all my supplies to shelter in place as I am high risk. I have a face mask should I need to go to get an Rx or some fresh fruit. My shop opening is delayed for the safety of myself, my employees, and my customers. I'm keeping in touch with family and friends via social media. And yes, I'm making and taking PHONE CALLS! What?! As much of an introvert as I am, I require a certain amount of human interaction. Facetime is a blessing. 

Super sexy look right here! Bahahah


Another way I'm dealing with things is sitting outside and soaking up sun while listening to the radio. I have been running in my neighborhood, but as the heat kicks up, I do more indoor workouts. I washed my car the other day and it was so nice to be able to be out under a blue sky removing layers of pollen from my vehicle. 

Of course, I've been cooking. I am a planner. I shop once a month for groceries so I have over 30 meal plans ready to roll for supper. I also plan for leftovers for lunch or another day.
I had chosen to make pot stickers this month and so I needed another 1-2 ways to use what was left in the wonton skins pack. Waste not, want not! So, I decided on crab rangoon and crispy strips for egg drop soup. Not a single wrap was wasted. As a result of planning, that 1 pack of wonton skins provided the foundation for 6 meals. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. 

Cat assistant not required,  but it does make it an exciting time in the kitchen


I hope you are all staying healthy and happy. Sending you love and good eats. 


Pot Stickers with Tangy Ginger Dipping Sauce
Makes 24 potstickers

1 cup cabbage (I used coleslaw mix with carrots in it)
1 cup fresh chopped spinach
1/4 cup green onion or sweet yellow onion
1 TBS soy sauce
1/2 tsp fresh, peeled ginger, grated 
1/2 tsp sesame oil
dash of pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 lb ground pork or turkey
1/4 lb peeled and devained shrimp, chopped
24 wonton wraps
1 TBS oil
2 cups chicken broth

Combine first 10 ingredients in a bowl. 

Working with 1 wrapper at a time (Cover the remaining wrappers with a damp towel to prevent drying) spoon about 1 heaping tsp of filling into the center of each wrap. Moisten the edges with water. Fold in half and pinch the edges together to seal. Form 3-4 pleats along the seal. Place dumpling, seam side up on a platter. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers to make 24 pot stickers. 
By the time I got to number 6 I got it under control lol

** You can use round gyoza skins to make this easier, but I only have the square available. I gently fold the corners in to make a half moon purse. 

If you want, you may freeze half this batch. Place uncooked dumplings on a pan lined with parchment paper. Freeze until hard and store in a plastic bag until ready to use. 
Ready to be frozen for later use


Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. 

Place 12 dumplings in the pan, seam side up. DO NOT CROWD the pan. Cook 30 seconds until brown. Add 1 cup of broth to the pan, cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook about 1 minute until liquid evaporates. Remove pot stickers from the pan. Cover and keep warm. 

Repeat process with remaining dumplings. Serve with tangy ginger dipping sauce. 


Tangy Ginger Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup tomato
1/3 cup chopped green onion or yellow sweet onion
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 1/2 TSB sugar
1 tsp chopped, peeled ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded

Tangy goodness

Throw it all in a blender and whirl until all ingredients are well chopped and mixed. Pour into a jar or small container with a lid. Allow to sit 10 minutes. Shake well and serve with dumplings or crab rangoon.

** You may choose to peel your tomato, I didn't. I like all those vitamins!

Baked Crab Rangoon
Makes 18 

5 oz crab meat (I used a can, drained very well)
4.5 oz cream cheese, softened to room temp
1 green onion or 1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
18 wonton wraps

Mix first 5 ingredients together in a small bowl. For deeper flavor, let sit for 30 minutes, covered. 

Working with 1 wrap at a time, place 1 heaping tsp of filling into the center of the wonton. Wet edges.Bring up the edges toward the center to make a small purse. Pinch to seal. 

Ignore my tortilla triangles, I was making chips at the same time :)

Lay the purses on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray with olive oil. (I have a handy little spray bottle, but you can brush on if you don't have a spritz bottle) gently salt with coarse salt if desired. 

Bake at 425 for 12-14 minutes until golden.  Let cool a few minutes as the filling will be hot. 

Bonus- if you want to make chips like I did, just cut up a corn tortilla or two and spray with oil and salt. They bake up the same time and temp as the rangoons. 


Easy Baked Wonton Strips
This one is super easy! 

Wonton skins
olive oil
salt

Stack several wonton skins and slice in half so you have two stacks of rectangles. 

Thinly slice into strips. Toss with a tsp of olive oil.

Lay strips onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Salt with coarse salt. 

Bake at 425 for 7-10 minutes until golden and crispy. 

Serve with your favorite soup (like egg drop soup!) or enjoy as a crunchy snack. 

Store any leftovers in an airtight container. 


No comments:

Post a Comment