Thursday, March 12, 2020

Blueberry-Pecan Scones

As my mom says- the baking muse is alive and well in my kitchen these days.

Yesterday I baked Reese's Chocolate Cookies with Peanut-butter chips. I will post that recipe at another time. I had done a little searching and found that Reese's has changed the recipe quantities a few times and people are all up in arms about it... So be on the lookout for what I made (hint, I just followed the recipe on the package! lol)

Today, I continued on the Cooking Light Project. Yes, you know. That project I started like 10 years ago... The recent recipes I've shared come from The Best of Cooking Light Everyday Favorites. I really enjoy a project like this for a few reasons: I get to try new foods that I would normally avoid; I get to explore new techniques in the kitchen; it's one of those projects that you can pick up at anytime and it will always be fun!

I have NEVER made a scone before. I have eaten my share, I mean it's a sweet bread. Yea. I'm all in.

These were so simple to make. They came together quickly and baked up beautifully. I used frozen blueberries that my parents picked this past berry season and GA pecans. The flavor is light and tender. For a heavier bread, it's surprisingly delicate.

I loved the fact that I had everything in my kitchen for this recipe. No special trips to the store. No random spices or equipment needed. I can tell you, these are delish right out of the oven, but they are outstanding when you let them cool completely! Yum!

Why are you still reading? Go make some scones and have a cuppa. You can thank me later. :)

Blueberry Pecan Scones
Makes 10 

1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk, you can use regular 2% cows milk)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBS chilled butter, diced small
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup finely chopped, toasted pecans

1 large egg white, beaten
2 TBS sugar (You can use colored sanding sugar for a fun pop of color)

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine milk, sugar, lemon, vanilla, and egg. Whisk well.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and butter. Using your preferred method, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. I personally do this while a pastry blender, others use two knives, and of course you can always just use your hands. (I have had many  children help cut butter in because they love to smoosh the butter and flour together)

Fold the berries and pecans into the flour mix. Once well coated, add milk mixture. Stir until the entire dough just comes together. It will be sticky.

Turn out onto a floured surface. Pat dough into an 8 inch circle. Cut dough into 10 wedges.

Transfer wedges to a cookie sheet lined with parchment.

Brush egg white over dough wedges. Sprinkle 2 TBS sugar over all. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

May be served immediately or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment