Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Chicken Scaloppine with Broccoli

Welcome to Today! Yea, I don't know what day it is any more... What I do know is that I am still hanging in the kitchen and making my way through my Cooking Light Project.

I've been experimenting with various protein shakes using Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein powder. Yea, it's a long way of saying not whey. I still struggle with lactose that isn't aged or filled with probiotics and whey is literally dehydrated lactose. Not my friend.

So after way too many hours of research, I found one that is lactose free. The base of the mix is pea powder, brown rice flour, and chia seed powder. They have a bunch of flavors as well as blends with super foods, greens, and keto mix.

I went with vanilla bean. It smells fantastic. My two favorite recipes I've made are cherry dip cone and orange dreamscicle. When I get my hands on some chocolate pudding, I'm going to do a chocolate dipped strawberry shake.

So here's a bonus "recipe":

1-2 scoops Organic Plant Based Protein- vanilla
1 heaping TBS vanilla pudding powder
1 1/2 TBS jello mix (Cherry flavor for cherry dip, orange for dreamscicle)
1 cup ice
1/2 cup cold water

Throw it all in a blender. Whirl until smooth and thick.

These help me stay full, longer. And they increase my water intake while being delicious. I actually enjoy  making up these decadent tasting shakes that are only between 175-240 calories. They curb my sweet tooth and make a great snack.

Now, as promised in the orange rolls recipe- A new chicken recipe!

This recipe is part of the Cooking Light Project. I have put off this recipe because it uses wine. Not that I don't like wine, I do. I just don't have any on hand and I don't want to go to the liquor store just to get a bottle of white wine for 1/2 cup worth.

Then, I took to the interwebs! (Yea, that's what we call it in my family lol) I found out that you can successfully substitute a 1 to 1 ratio of water and apple cider vinegar. I was nervous about the flavor, but it decided to give it a try.

To my very happy surprise, it works!!!! You have a beautiful tang, not vinegary at all, subtly sweet. I would recommend this as an acceptable sub for white wine in a recipe.

Ok. Enough chit chat! I'm going to share the recipe and head back to the kitchen for my next great meal.

Cheers!


Chicken Scaloppine with Broccoli
Serves 4

1 TBS olive oil
1/3 cup Panko Crumbs
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 (4oz) boneless, skinless chicken thighs- pounded thin
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar + 1/4 cup water OR 1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp butter
1 lb broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces (I used frozen florets)
2 TBS parsley
2 TBS capers, drained and rinsed

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Combine breadcrumbs, pepper, and Italian seasoning in a small dish. Dredge the chicken in the breadcrumbs. Add chicken to pan and cook 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove from the pan. Keep warm.

Add water/vinegar or wine, broth, lemon juice, and butter to pan. Scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add in the broccoli. Cover and cook until tender. Stir in parsley and capers.

To serve, plate broccoli. Top with chicken and pour sauce over the chicken and broccoli mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment