Monday, April 4, 2011

Classic Meatloaf, Sort of....

So-

Any time I say meatloaf, Jon automatically quotes the line from the movie A Christmas Story where Randy is poking at the meatloaf on his plate and playing with his mashed potatoes:

"Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beetloaf, I hate meatloaf."

Ye---a, ri---ght.

Most of the time when he says he doesn't like a particular food he ends up eating a second helping. Seriously. Here's a prime example: whenever I mention cabbage, which he claims to hate, he always eats more than I do(and I love me some good cabbage!).

I think he's just a kid at heart and no kid will admit to liking certain foods. There's a cool factor involved "I gotta protect my rep babe" Ya, ok hon....

We had individual meatloaves, homemade (baked) french fries (Yumtastic as usual) and steamed green beans. Deliciousness. A bit of comfort food, lightened. A great way to end a long day after work. :)

And here's why I loved the meatloaf, aside from the great flavor- they are mini loaves. You get to eat the whole thing! Fantastic. Dishes like this are always a big hit at my house.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friends. Cheers!

Mini Meatloaves
Serves 4
255 calories per

1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 TBS Dijon mustard
1 lb ground sirloin
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten*
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°.

Combine ketchup and mustard. Reserve 2 1/2 TBS ketchup mixture.

Combine remaining ketchup mixture, beef, and next 6 ingredients (beef through egg) in a large bowl, stirring to combine.

Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf; place loaves on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Spread about 2 teaspoons reserved ketchup mixture evenly over each loaf.

Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until done

* You may swap out for 1/4 cup egg substitute for 1 egg here

No comments:

Post a Comment