Sunday, August 8, 2010

Quick Veggie Soup

When I was learning how to cook, one of the things I started with was soup. They are pretty hard to mess up.

I have a really quick "recipe" that really isn't a recipe at all.

Basic run down of my soup components:
Broth
Veggies
Carbohydrate
Meat
Seasonings

Today's soup was made up with fresh veggies and herbs from my garden. I chose not to add pasta, rice, or barley keeping this soup light and easy. I had about 1/4 cup of diced ham leftover from making egg white omelets for dinner earlier in the week so I tossed that into the pot.

Soup is not rocket science. Take what you like and add it to the pot. Easy peasy.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend. Cheers!

Quick Veggie Soup
Serves 2
130 cal per

2 1/2-3 cups beef broth
1 small russet potato, diced
1 medium carrot(or 6 baby sized) diced
1 TBS onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8-10 green beans, cut into thirds or fourths
1/4 cup diced ham
5 fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
1-1 /2 tsp fresh baby basil, chopped or torn
1 medium tomato, diced
2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper


In a saucepan combine broth, potato, carrot, onion, garlic, diced ham and green beans. Bring to a simmer. Cook until veggies are tender, about 15 minutes.

Add mushrooms and herbs to soup. Simmer 5 minutes.

Remove from heat. Add tomato. Season with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment