Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Birthday Mania!

Last month I celebrated my birthday. I was blessed to have house full of good friends and good food.

There were 18 of us squished in our apartment to watch Wrestlemania and celebrate my birthday. The next day I was treated to a wonderful brunch with some our closest friends. It was fantastic! :)

Easter was a week away so I decided to wait to have birthday cake with my family until then.

Ever since I can recall, I've had angel food cake for my birthday. It's just so scrumptious! Well, this year, my grandma made me angel food cake supreme. I just had to have the recipe! I am going to try it sometime with some raspberries. It's light and refreshing- the perfect end to a delicious dinner.

My grandma has fibromyalgia. For those of you not familiar with this condition, fibromyalgia is characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and
other soft tissues. This made moving around very difficult for her. After doing some research, she found an easy way to help reduce the pain. Cut out added sugar. For whatever reason, it reduced the pain and flair ups. It has helped her significantly. She is able to move around more and do many of things she used to when I was growing up.

With her cutting sugar from her diet, she had to find a new way to satisfy her sweet tooth. This recipe was made with sugar-free pudding and sugar-free cool whip. You would never know the cake was the only thing with sugar in it!


Angel food Cake Supreme

1 angel food cake mix
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, undrained
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) vanilla flavor instant pudding
1 cup thawed Cool Whip


Prepare angel food cake according to package directions. Cool completely. Set aside.

Mix pineapple and dry pudding mix in medium bowl, gently stir in the whipped topping. Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve.

Put topping on cut pieces of cake, or slice the whole cake into 3 layers, spreading mixture on each layer and top of cake for fancier desserts. Garnish with seasonal berries if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment