Saturday, September 5, 2009

MMM Fall!

My favorite season, autumn, is approaching rapidly. As I harvest things from my garden and things wind down from summer, I anticipate a winter of new soups. (Yes, I am still on my soup kick. There are so many variations and styles of soup, it is one of my mini life goals to try as many as I possibly can! I know it makes me a goofball, but I enjoy it.)

Today I made a quick fall minestrone with fresh veggies from my own garden. It's really easy to throw together and the aroma is unreal. Like the middle eastern soup with couscous, this needs to be eaten immediately as the pasta continues to suck up the broth. If you do have leftovers, simply add some water to your now stew when reheating to thin it back out to a soup state.

In my next entry I will go over my dilly bean recipe, given to me by a wonderful friend who now lives several states away.

Here's to you and your culinary adventures, friend! Cheers!

Garden Minestrone Soup
Serves 4

1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/4 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
1 1/4 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled baking potato
3/4 cup (1-inch) snapped green beans
1/4 cup diced carrot
1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt, to taste
2 cups chopped kale
1/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1/2 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
3 oz light kielbasa sausage, diced
1 oz grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.

Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 1/2 minutes or until tender.

Add broth and the next 7 ingredients (broth through salt); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes.

Add kale, orzo, sausage, and beans; cook 5 minutes or until orzo is done and vegetables are tender.

Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment